When the holiday season approaches, people start their outdoor decorating. Lights fill the decor of many homes. If you hang lights from your roof or gutters, you probably need to use a ladder, which could be a dangerous activity. Here are some ladder safety tips that will keep you from becoming injured while decorating for the holidays.
- Check the Weather. Before you go outside and hang holiday lights, you should check your local weather report. If it is very windy, you may lose your balance at the top of the ladder. Also, rainy or snowy conditions can make its rungs slippery. It is best to climb a ladder on a sunny and calm day.
- Inspect Your Equipment. Most homeowners only rarely use ladders, and may only bring them out during this time of year. Before climbing, it is wise to inspect this piece of equipment to make sure it is safe.
- Choose the Right Size. Depending on your needs, you should choose a ladder that is the appropriate size. If you need to reach your rooftop, you will need a long ladder. It is advised to use one that extends at least three feet more than the desired height so it provides additional stability.
- Do Not Over-Reach. When you are on a ladder hanging lights and other decorations, you may find the need to stretch to reach a hook or far away spot. However, over-reaching can make the ladder kick out from under your body. This can cause serious injury. It is best to move the ladder to the area where you need it rather than reaching.
- Inform Your Family What You are Doing. If you are outside with the holiday lights, you need to make others aware that you are on the ladder. This is especially important if you are working near a door that may open and cause the equipment to topple over.
- Stay Away from the Eggnog. You should never climb a ladder while you are intoxicated. Your balance and judgment may not function properly.
Many people hang holiday lights from their gutters. When spring rains arrive, you may be reaching for your ladder again. Cleaning these same gutters can be a tedious task. For more information about the convenience of the K-Guard Leaf Free Gutter System, contact us today.